Sunday, October 13, 2013

Visiting Historic Steveston Village

Visiting Historic Steveston Village

Gulf Of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site - Steveston
Visiting The Steveston Village
The historic fishing village of Steveston located in the southwest corner of Richmond, B.C. was the largest commercial fishing harbour in Canada with fifteen canneries along two miles of foreshore and also an important boat-building and shipbuilding industry that brought a large number of Japanese, Chinese, and First Nations immigrants to work in the industry. Steveston is now very popular with tourists and locals residents. Some of the original buildings remain and are open to the public like The Britannia Shipyards declared a National Historic Site, and The Steveston's Gulf of Georgia Cannery.

We want to thank Loren Slye president of the Steveston Historical Society for the invitation to visit the Gulf of Georgia Cannery, and also Steveston Villager Artist Carmen Keitsch  for the invitation and the guided tour in Steveston  .

"Built in 1894 in the historic fishing village of Steveston, the Cannery was the largest building of its kind and the leading producer of canned salmon in BC." source: Gulf of Georgia Cannery Brochure.
Steveston's Legacy by Norm Williams -- Gulf of Georgia Cannery - National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Steveston's Legacy by Norm Williams - Gulf of Georgia Cannery - National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Gulf of Georgia Cannery - National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Gulf of Georgia Cannery - National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Gulf of Georgia Cannery - National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Gulf of Georgia Cannery - National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village

Steveston Harbour Authority - Fisherman's Park -  Historic Steveston Village

Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site
"Oldest shipyard community in British Columbia. This 8 acre park was once a thriving community of boatyards, canneries, residences and store. Several of the original buildings remain today, and many of them are open for visitors to explore.
Britannia Shipyard was constructed in 1889 as a cannery, the building was converted into a shipyard in 1917-1918. It served the ABC Packing Company fleet until 1969, and then the Canadian Fish Company until 1979..." source: fragment of the Britannia Shipyards Brochure.


The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Seine Net Loft -  The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Manager's House -  The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Japanese Duplex -  The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
The Chinese Bunkhouse - The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Murakami House - The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village
Check more pictures at Visiting Historic Steveston Village Flickr Photo Album
Shady Island and Storm Protection - The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site - Historic Steveston Village

Sunset - Historic Steveston Village